Welcome to The Mundane Adventures of a Fangirl

I consider myself a Fangirl. What does that mean, you ask? A "fanboy" in the most common understanding is a hardcore fan of 'genre' based entertainment in particular. In my case - science-fiction and comic book based movies and television. Because I'm a chick - it's fangirl, not fanboy. There you have it! I am a big movie fan, however, not necessarily a 'film' fan. And now - I have the forum to present my opinions to the public! These will mainly be movie reviews -that will always be my opinion - repeat OPINION. Just what I think, and in no way do I present my opinion as fact. I hope you enjoy and maybe it will help you decide what to see at the movie theater this weekend!

Friday, April 5, 2024

Movie Review: Dune Part Two (PG13 – 166 minutes)

 

If you enjoyed part one from director Denis Villeneuve, you’ll love part two.  Epically beautiful and sweeping, it continues the story with flair.  There are still a ton of characters to try to keep straight, and this part adds several that did not yet appear in the first one.  Young Paul Atreides is meandering the desert with his Freman friends after his whole family except for his mother Jessica was killed when the Harkonnen clan launched an attack on the planet Arakis after the Emperor gave stewardship of it to the Atreides.  The plot is thick and heavy here, and if you haven’t read any of the books, it can be a little tough to keep all the folks straight and figure out why Paul is at first claiming to not be the desert messiah and then by the end decides being the desert messiah is exactly what he needs to be to harness ‘desert power’ (sandworms) to take on his enemies.

Everyone in the movie does a great job, and it really does look fantastic.  Personally, I may have enjoyed this one a little bit more than the previous entry – even if it is a little too long for me and a little plot-heavy. I think that is a good thing though, in that it seems to be faithfully adapting the source material.  I particularly enjoy Javier Bardem as Stilgar – convincing Paul to take up his own mantel and use his legend-in-the-making status.  Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya are just fine as the two leads and Josh Brolin continues to be entertaining.  I also really enjoyed Rebecca Ferguson as Jessica as she manipulates almost everyone to get what she wants. I could have used a little more fun here and there. I enjoyed the bits of Paul learning how to desert properly, and those sequences added a little levity in an otherwise somber story. 

Overall – beautiful to look at, a little long, a little bit pretentious, but still entertaining. 6 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment