Welcome to The Mundane Adventures of a Fangirl

I consider myself a Fangirl. What does that mean, you ask? A "fanboy" in the most common understanding is a hardcore fan of 'genre' based entertainment in particular. In my case - science-fiction and comic book based movies and television. Because I'm a chick - it's fangirl, not fanboy. There you have it! I am a big movie fan, however, not necessarily a 'film' fan. And now - I have the forum to present my opinions to the public! These will mainly be movie reviews -that will always be my opinion - repeat OPINION. Just what I think, and in no way do I present my opinion as fact. I hope you enjoy and maybe it will help you decide what to see at the movie theater this weekend!

Friday, April 5, 2024

Movie Review: Anyone But You (R – 103 minutes)

 

I love a rom-com that brings a little more to the table and I really loved Ten Things I Hate About You for the clever Shakespeare’s comedy inspiration (Taming of the Shrew).  Anyone But You pulls similar inspiration from Much Ado About Nothing. Here, Beatrice and Benedict become Bea and Ben. They have a brief one-night-stand and then accidentally both end up at her sister’s wedding in Australia. Frustrated with the questions from other guests, they pretend to be a couple despite really driving each other crazy.  Hijinks ensue.


I was not expecting anything from this movie and I was absolutely delighted. Sometimes it is best to go into things cold.  It follows the standard rom-com format in a perfect way: meet-cute, attraction, manufactured and over-the-top drama, huge gesture reconciliation.  The extra fun bits of the story not only execute that formula but elevate it.  The cast was charming – especially Glen Powell who was determined to go all out, have a blast, and take everyone along with him.  The setting is also beautiful and made me want to go to a destination wedding in Australia.

Overall – super fun, charming, great cast – 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment