Welcome to The Mundane Adventures of a Fangirl

I consider myself a Fangirl. What does that mean, you ask? A "fanboy" in the most common understanding is a hardcore fan of 'genre' based entertainment in particular. In my case - science-fiction and comic book based movies and television. Because I'm a chick - it's fangirl, not fanboy. There you have it! I am a big movie fan, however, not necessarily a 'film' fan. And now - I have the forum to present my opinions to the public! These will mainly be movie reviews -that will always be my opinion - repeat OPINION. Just what I think, and in no way do I present my opinion as fact. I hope you enjoy and maybe it will help you decide what to see at the movie theater this weekend!

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Movie Review: Thunder Force (PG13 – 106 minutes)

 

Netflix continues to offer new movies on the regular. A few weeks ago, they released Thunder Force, which the perfect balm while trying to wade through the swamp of depressing Oscar movies.


The movie takes place in a world where an event caused some to be gifted with super powers, but for whatever reason, only enhanced those that were already bad - essentially creating a ton of super villains and no heroes.  Emily Stanton’s parents were scientists killed by one of these ‘miscreants.’  Her best friend, Lydia Berman, takes her in. Lydia becomes obsessed with becoming a genetic scientist herself, intent on finding a way to stop miscreants and find justice for her parents.  Her studiousness clashes with Lydia’s carelessness and the girls have a falling out near the end of high school.


Years later, Emily’s scientific company is growing, and Lydia reaches out to ask her to come to a reunion.  Lydia stops by Emily’s office to see her, and accidentally wanders into one of Lydia’s experiments, ending up with super strength. Emily takes the second half, resulting in invisibility. Together, the two team up to stop evil-doers and bring down The King – a local villain.  Hijinks ensue.


Honestly, regardless of the plot, you are watching this to see Spencer and McCarthy have a good time together in some insane situations.  The two have been friends for more than 20 years, and it lends a genuineness to the friendship in the movie. Even with as irritated as Emily is with Lydia, they know they have each other’s support. Ben Falcone (Mr. McCarthy) has directed this as he has done many of McCarthy’s other movies. He gives her the leeway to slide into the crazy, which is what she does best, but I did want the movie to commit to going a little farther into the silly. At some points, it almost takes itself too seriously.

McCarthy and Spencer are delightful together and again, the real friendship shows in the on-screen friendship. They work really hard, but I did want more full-out belly laugh moments.  Bits about the cool car being impractical and the fact that they could not wash the suits were great. The training sequences were also fun, but the movie could have leaned into a few more scenes of them building their team skills and doing some general around-town hero-ing before they immediately shifty to fighting their big bad.


Bobby Cannvale is dependable as always as the King, and I enjoy him opposite McCarthy. Pom Klementieff gets to ‘twist her mustache’ as relentless miscreant Laser.  

Melissa Leo is completely unused as Emily’s head of security, and Kevin Dunn continues to be reliable as a local businessman.  I really enjoyed Taylor Mosby as Tracy, Emily’s daughter. She was smart, funny, and determined to help even when told to stay out of it.  

The true gem of the movie is Jason Bateman as Jerry the Crab. Bateman in a comedy is typically gold and he absolutely stole each scene he was in. Particularly when he scooted away sideways. Also – he has mastered the mid-sentence wink better than any other actor.


Overall the movie is certainly fun but had the potential to be truly hilarious.  I enjoyed it, and it is a great streaming watch. Again, I found myself wondering if I would have liked it as much if I had paid to see it in a theater, but at home with a big bowl of popcorn, it’s just right.

6 out of 10 - taking away extra points for the raw chicken eating scenes – even if it is specially prepared slices of pear, which I know – it still is really gross.



No comments:

Post a Comment