Welcome to The Mundane Adventures of a Fangirl

I consider myself a Fangirl. What does that mean, you ask? A "fanboy" in the most common understanding is a hardcore fan of 'genre' based entertainment in particular. In my case - science-fiction and comic book based movies and television. Because I'm a chick - it's fangirl, not fanboy. There you have it! I am a big movie fan, however, not necessarily a 'film' fan. And now - I have the forum to present my opinions to the public! These will mainly be movie reviews -that will always be my opinion - repeat OPINION. Just what I think, and in no way do I present my opinion as fact. I hope you enjoy and maybe it will help you decide what to see at the movie theater this weekend!

Monday, April 6, 2020

Movie Review: Always a Bridesmaid (PG13 – 97 minutes)


One benefit of this season of self-isolation and sheltering in place for me is that I have the opportunity to check out a lot of smaller movies that I would not have otherwise noticed due to the larger flicks out at the theaters. When my movie time is limited, I will admit that I overlook those that don’t have the larger releases. All the streaming services have stepped up, and I watched Always a Bridesmaid on Netflix.

This movie is a romantic comedy and again, that’s one genre where I am okay with the movies being predictable and following the accepted tropes to the letter. What makes for a ‘good’ rom-com is one that elevates the material.  There are two main ways that can happen: exceptional writing or a fantastic cast.  This one is a little more middle-of-the-road.

Corina James is a successful thirty-year-old woman working at her father’s publishing company. She’s recently taken a job at a different company, which her father is not taking well. Apparently, they have some issues due to unresolved issues that came up when her mother passed.  Corina has many friends and has been a bridesmaid more times than she can count.  Through all these weddings, and some conversations with her pastor, she begins to wonder if her emotional baggage will ever let her find love for herself.  At one wedding, she re-meets, Mark, who first knew in college.  Mark is charming and beautiful in a perfect two-dimensional way.  They start dating and Corina needs to navigate her relationships, her job, and her friends while trying to discover exactly what she wants. 

This is movie is fine.  It’s not bad, but it’s also not great. You know what happens without me explaining it because you’ve seen it many times before.  The couple has a meet-cute, they begin a great relationship, they fall apart, they get back together. The cast is all capable, but none of them really stand out. The comedy is never as hilarious as it should be, and the touching moments do not ever really land.  The cast is okay but might have benefitted from the addition of a few more improv-based comedians, who could have run with the available dialogue and added a bit more.  Aside from the lead characters, no one else gets any development time resulting in a shortchanged supporting cast.  
Javicia Leslie plays Corina and certainly does a capable job. She’s frustrated with her current status, but unsure how to change it.  She plays Corina as hesitant and unaffected, while also unsure why she is that way. It would have been nice to see her have a notable breakthrough as she begins to understand her own issues, but instead it is a bit of a mild notification.

Honestly, Jordan Calloway was the best part of this. He seems a little more at ease than everyone else in the movie. Of course, I have really enjoyed him on Black Lightning, so perhaps I am biased.

Yvette Nicole Brown originally wrote this movie years ago with the idea of starring in it. Now, she has taken on the role of the pastor who seems to imply that Corina (and anyone else) is worthless as a single person and that dating – and marriage – are what everyone should be aiming for. She starts out with a speech stating that Corina needs to choose, either to date or not, and then be happy in that choice.  But all her other sentences very much suggest she needs to be dating and in a relationship.

Michelle Mitchenor, Jasmin Brown, and Amber Chardae Robinson all play Corina’s friends.  If I told you they were playing the best friends of the lead in a rom-com, you could probably identify the tropes that are embodied. 

Richard Lawson and Marcel Spears play Corina’s father and brother. Her father seems to be upset that she is not choosing his business. Luckily, they make up by the end of the movie. I am not sure how, I don’t recall there being a scene like that.

Overall, the movie is just fine. You’re not going out to the theater right now, so why not check out what Netflix has to offer, rom-com-wise? Of course, I’ve said this before, and I will say it again – I hate when movies indicate that there is something wrong with you if you are single. I understand that the happy single person is not allowed to exist in the rom-com universe, but just once, it would be nice to see.

5 out of 10 – perfectly average, certainly worth a watch.
As a bonus, if you're not up on Black Lightning, then you missed the scene this season where Khalil had to battle Painkiller - which is complicated, because they are the same person... 


No comments:

Post a Comment