Welcome to The Mundane Adventures of a Fangirl

I consider myself a Fangirl. What does that mean, you ask? A "fanboy" in the most common understanding is a hardcore fan of 'genre' based entertainment in particular. In my case - science-fiction and comic book based movies and television. Because I'm a chick - it's fangirl, not fanboy. There you have it! I am a big movie fan, however, not necessarily a 'film' fan. And now - I have the forum to present my opinions to the public! These will mainly be movie reviews -that will always be my opinion - repeat OPINION. Just what I think, and in no way do I present my opinion as fact. I hope you enjoy and maybe it will help you decide what to see at the movie theater this weekend!

Monday, February 10, 2020

Movie Review: Parasite (R - 132 minutes).


I managed to squeeze in watching this movie the day before it had a surprise victory for Best Picture at the Academy Awards.  And, I have to say, I agree with that choice!

Parasite begins by introducing us to the Kim family, who are very poor and living in a tiny apartment. They are all currently unemployed and are working folding pizza boxes to have some type of income. The son, Ki-woo, meets up with a friend of his named Min who is about to study abroad but not before dropping off a gift of a Scholar’s Rock for the Kim family.

Slight spoilers here - Min has been private tutoring the daughter of a rich family and recommends the job for Ki-woo.  Ki-woo and his sister, Ki-jung, work together to forge him documents verifying his attendance at a University. He goes to meet with the wealthy family who live in a very fancy house designed by a famous architect.  Once there he charms the lady of the house, Mrs. Park, tells her he’s tutored English before and uses the English name, Kevin.  

He meets with the daughter, Da-Hye, and notices that her younger brother is a bit out of control.  Through discussions with Mrs. Park, he learns that the son needs special tutoring. He swiftly comes up with a recommendation for an art therapy teacher and the next visit, brings his sister, who lets them know her English name is Jessica and that she’s an experienced art therapist.  When getting a ride home from Mr. Park’s driver, ‘Jessica’ orchestrates a reason for the driver to be fired and recommends a driver she knows well. Sure enough, Mr. Kim applies for and gets the open position just before orchestrating a reason for the Park family’s housekeeper to be let go.  He recommends Mrs. Kim, and before you know it, the entire family is working for the Park family. They are making good money and all seems well – but of course, things start to unravel from there.

That’s all I am going to say because you really should see this movie. Director Bong Joon Ho has also just won the best Direction Oscar and it is well-deserved.  The movie is a dark comedy – really dark. It’s not a horror movie, but it does get creepy and violent as it goes on. There are several dogs in the movie and they all make it through okay. I spent some time worrying about that, so I will save you that trouble!

It starts out pleasant enough, and the Kims seem to be the protagonists. However, as the movie continues, and the differences between the classes get more distant, you’re not entirely sure who you are rooting for, if anyone.  Bong Joon Ho manages to make a movie that highlights the ignorance of the wealthy and the desperation of the poor without making a scathing commentary on either.
It is an incredibly fascinating movie and well worth a watch. It is shot beautifully and the house is gorgeous, but feels unfriendly.  There were bits that felt similar to Jodan Peele’s Us but I do think this one is a little more clear and a bit less gory.  Even the name hints at the theme – the relationship between the families starts out symbiotic, but then shifts to parasitic. Its entertaining, haunting, weird, and perfectly crafted.
8 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you mentioned Us because I got those vibes, too. Parasite is such a good movie, I'm glad you liked it! It's one of those where I really thought I knew what was going to happen, and then I had the rug pulled out under me.

    ReplyDelete