Welcome to The Mundane Adventures of a Fangirl

I consider myself a Fangirl. What does that mean, you ask? A "fanboy" in the most common understanding is a hardcore fan of 'genre' based entertainment in particular. In my case - science-fiction and comic book based movies and television. Because I'm a chick - it's fangirl, not fanboy. There you have it! I am a big movie fan, however, not necessarily a 'film' fan. And now - I have the forum to present my opinions to the public! These will mainly be movie reviews -that will always be my opinion - repeat OPINION. Just what I think, and in no way do I present my opinion as fact. I hope you enjoy and maybe it will help you decide what to see at the movie theater this weekend!

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Movie Review: The Hustle (PG13 – 93 minutes)


Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was made in 1988 and was actually a remake of the 1964 movie, Bedtime Story. It starred Michael Caine and Steve Martin and was directed by Frank Oz.  In it, Michael Caine played a very posh con man living in the seaside town of Beaumont-sur-Mer, making an incredible living conning mostly women, heiresses, with the help of a few assistants.  His pleasant world is rocked by the arrival of a crass American sub-par con man played by Steve Martin.  Caine agrees to help train Martin in return for his assistance. They have a falling out, and compete for the territory by attempting to get the fortune of a wealthy woman.

This new version, produced by Rebel Wilson and starring Anne Hathaway and Wilson is almost exactly the same story.  Wilson plays Penny, a crass con-woman who runs into Hathaway’s Josephine Chesterfield, a very posh and polished con-woman.  Josephine trains Penny, but after a falling out, they compete to steal the fortune from an American tech giant in town for a conference.

The movie had potential and really should have been so much funnier than it is.  Wilson is game, and goes full-out for the comedy. Hathaway seems an odd choice for this movie, and really I can’t help but wonder if the movie would have been better with someone more comedy-capable in the role.  The movie is directed by Chris Addison, who has previously directed mostly TV shows, and this movie is well put together, just not as funny as I wanted it to be.
  • Anne Hathaway plays Josephine Chesterfield with a questionable British accent that may have been a choice since we do not really know if the character is British, or if that’s a con as well. She seems disinterested and aloof, but again – perhaps those are character choices and she’s doing a great job?

  • Rebel Wilson plays Penny Rust, and it’s very similar to other characters she has played. It’s interesting to see her progress through the training with Josephine, but I would have liked to see that result in more of a character shift.

  • Alex Sharp plays Thomas Westerburg, the tech genius whose fortune they are after. He’s one-note until the end, which is not a surprise if you’ve seen the original.
  • Ingrid Oliver plays Brigitte Desjardins, a police officer helping Josephine.
  • Dean Norris has a very brief role as a mark for the two women.

Overall the movie is fine, and there’s a chuckle here and there, but I really wanted laughs from this movie and it did not deliver that level of hijinks. Of course, I remember having the same feeling from the original. It made me feel uncomfortable more than it made me laugh, and this one is right along those lines.  I would have liked to see the women targeting some terrible men so that you could get on board with them taking their fortunes.  That felt like another missed opportunity.  Honestly, I didn’t like either of the characters, and that would have been a way to get the audience on their side. The potential was there, and it’s a perfectly serviceable comedy, but it could have been much funnier.

6 out of 10 – it’s fine, but it’s not great.

No comments:

Post a Comment