Welcome to The Mundane Adventures of a Fangirl

I consider myself a Fangirl. What does that mean, you ask? A "fanboy" in the most common understanding is a hardcore fan of 'genre' based entertainment in particular. In my case - science-fiction and comic book based movies and television. Because I'm a chick - it's fangirl, not fanboy. There you have it! I am a big movie fan, however, not necessarily a 'film' fan. And now - I have the forum to present my opinions to the public! These will mainly be movie reviews -that will always be my opinion - repeat OPINION. Just what I think, and in no way do I present my opinion as fact. I hope you enjoy and maybe it will help you decide what to see at the movie theater this weekend!

Monday, June 26, 2023

Movie Review: Polite Society (PG13 – 103 minutes)

 

Every once in a while, I see a movie that I feel like has crept in under the radar and is cool, different, really entertaining and I hope more people get to see it. In April of 2022, it was Everything Everywhere All At Once, which ended up doing just fine.  This year in April I saw Polite Society and I feel the same way, hoping it gets more eyeballs as the year goes on. 



I had seen the trailer for this movie and knew it would be up my alley.  Ria is a young English woman growing up in a Pakistani home with conservative and traditional parents trying to navigate the social and economic circles of their friends and family.  Ria’s passion is martial arts and she eventually hopes to become a stunt woman like her idol, Eunice Huthart.  Her older sister Lena, an art school dropout, helps her make online videos practicing her moves while she writes to Eunice for advice and guidance while the girls’ parents are discouraging both of their dreams. 



At an Eid Mubarak party hosted by a suspiciously wealthy friend, Raheela, Ria grows suspicious of Raheela’s matchmaking attempts for her son, Salim – but Lena finds him charming and suddenly they are dating and then engaged.  Is Ria right to be suspicious?  Or is she overreacting?  To find out, Ria enlists her friends and frenemy to discover the truth about Salim and his mother and rescue her sister from what may or may not be an evil plot. 



The movie is directed by Nida Manzoor who also did the show We Are Lady Parts.  The scenes between the two sisters are wonderful with Priya Kansara as Ria and Ritu Arya as Lena. It is very easy to believe their relationship and how far Ria will go to protect Lena.  I absolutely loved the support they show for each other and even when they are fighting, it feels like a gut punch.  I also loved the relationships between Ria and her school friends.  They were there for her when she needed them, but also called her out when she was acting unhinged. While you may expect the family and relationship drama portions to be great, what surprised me was how fantastic and epic the action sequences are.  Just about everyone is a martial arts master for no reason whatsoever other than it makes the fight sequences absolutely cinematic. 



Overall, this movie is fun, action-packed, hilarious, and also warm and touching. It is a genuine joy to watch.  I really loved it, and I hope you check it out – you can currently catch it on Peacock Premium.

9 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment