Welcome to The Mundane Adventures of a Fangirl

I consider myself a Fangirl. What does that mean, you ask? A "fanboy" in the most common understanding is a hardcore fan of 'genre' based entertainment in particular. In my case - science-fiction and comic book based movies and television. Because I'm a chick - it's fangirl, not fanboy. There you have it! I am a big movie fan, however, not necessarily a 'film' fan. And now - I have the forum to present my opinions to the public! These will mainly be movie reviews -that will always be my opinion - repeat OPINION. Just what I think, and in no way do I present my opinion as fact. I hope you enjoy and maybe it will help you decide what to see at the movie theater this weekend!

Friday, February 24, 2023

Movie Review: Magic Mike’s Last Dance (R – 112 minutes)

 

The first Magic Mike movie was a Steven Soderbergh character drama film that lied about being a fun movie about male entertainers. In the second movie, Magic Mike and his fun friends from the first movie have a fun road trip down to a fun convention and have fun hijinks on the way. In case you missed my opinion there – the second movie was way more fun. Perhaps because it was directed by Gregory Jacobs instead of Soderbergh? But also because it include some actual dancers instead of some actors they tried to teach to dance. I’m not complaining – they tried their best! But, having Twitch in any of the sequences will make you realize just how unskilled the rest of the cast (except for Channing Tatum) are.


This third entry into the franchise brings back Soderbergh as the director, but he apparently listened to audience feedback because this one definitely includes some big time fun.  Mike is working as a bartender at an exclusive party (apparently that custom furniture business he keeps trying to start is still not working?), he gets talked (or bought) into performing a steamy lap dance for wealthy (crazy wealthy) recently divorced Maxandra.  Inspired, she takes him to London with her to put together a show in a theater she has just gained as part of the divorce.  Max and Mike work together to bring some fun and sexy to a show while navigating developing feelings for each other.


This third one may be my favorite of the group. The relationship between Max and Mike is interesting and Soderbergh-style moody enough without clouding over all the fun dance sequences. And my goodness – there are finally a ton of fun dance sequences! Hiring a large group of really talented dancers made such a difference. Again – no shade on Matt Bomer, Joe Maganiello, Adam Rodriguez, and Kevin Nash’s terrible knees – they certainly were having fun.  The sequences of Max and Mike finding, recruiting, and choreographing with the dancers in this movie are great. Of course, none of those characters even get names. They are just there to dance.  


Channing Tatum has such an effortless every-guy charisma that he is fun to watch in non-dancing moments and he’s such an incredible dancer that he is fantastic to watch in dance sequences. The final number in this movie with he and the ballerina is amazing. 


Salma Hayek is certainly believable as Max, both in the barely-keeping it together divorced aspect and the looking to do something fun and unique with the money aspect. The daughter gets to narrate and move the plot along and I found her charming as well. I am not sure I buy how in love Max and Mike are by the end of the movie, but it certainly provides a good finish.  


Overall, far more entertaining that the first and slightly better assembled than the second. Absolutely worth a watch.

6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment