Welcome to The Mundane Adventures of a Fangirl

I consider myself a Fangirl. What does that mean, you ask? A "fanboy" in the most common understanding is a hardcore fan of 'genre' based entertainment in particular. In my case - science-fiction and comic book based movies and television. Because I'm a chick - it's fangirl, not fanboy. There you have it! I am a big movie fan, however, not necessarily a 'film' fan. And now - I have the forum to present my opinions to the public! These will mainly be movie reviews -that will always be my opinion - repeat OPINION. Just what I think, and in no way do I present my opinion as fact. I hope you enjoy and maybe it will help you decide what to see at the movie theater this weekend!

Friday, January 15, 2021

Movie Review: Superintelligence (PG – 106 minutes)

 

Since I have the HBOMax, I decided to watch Superintelligence and found myself pleasantly surprised!


Carol is an average woman going about her day to day existence when the ‘smart’ in her smart home devices starts talking to her. It has decided that she is the most average person on earth and it will spend three days observing her to determine if humankind should be saved or destroyed. And, since she is a James Corden fan, it will sound like James Corden. 


After sorting through her online life history, the SI recommends Carol connect with her ex, George, to see if she is capable of solving why they fell apart and gaining some closure and happiness.  Hijinks ensue.  Really there’s not much more to it than that. Carol does reveal the SI to her friend Dennis, for whom it sounds like Octavia Spencer, and he works with the government to try to get it shut down, but that doesn’t really have any impact on the SI making Carol rich and well-dressed while coaching her through reconnecting with George.


The movie is directed by Mr. McCarthy, Ben Falcone. He’s done a few of her other movies: The Boss and Tammy to name a few. I enjoyed this one a great deal – again, it may be the streaming effect – would I have enjoyed it as much had I paid full price to see it in a theater? I am not sure, but it is a charming rom-com with some very funny moments.

Melissa McCarthy is great at average-person Carol. She excels at physical comedy and I really could have watched the scene of her attempting to sit on an overlarge bean bag chair and try on ridiculous clothes for hours. She’s also great at genuine tender moments and she gets to do just a bit of both here.


Bobby Cannavale is always good and he’s very charming as the pleasant ex, George. I really appreciated that they had a very mature relationship and break-up. They don’t hate each other or not want to communicate, and they are both open to reconnecting. It’s refreshing to see a relationship like that on screen. Of course, he was in the movie Spy, and so now I am back to wanting a sequel to Spy.


Brian Tyree Henry continues to be the dude who shows up in everything as Carol’s best friend Dennis. Since he works in tech, he swiftly heads to the government with news of the SI and the threat once Carol brings it to his attention. There are some very funny moments where he is awkward with president Jean Smart.


Sam Richardson and Ben Falcone play two agents keeping an eye on Carol and recommending she work with them to put an end to the SI. I feel like most of their bits were improv, and I would really like to see the outtakes from them.


There are some other key bits that are a little more than cameos, but each gets to bring a little bit of light to their roles, my favorite is of course Michael Beach playing a general determined to save the human race.

Overall, the movie is simple, straightforward, and delivers what it promises, and you really cannot ask for more than that. It has some good funny parts and some good warm parts. A perfectly charming streaming flick.

6 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment