Welcome to The Mundane Adventures of a Fangirl

I consider myself a Fangirl. What does that mean, you ask? A "fanboy" in the most common understanding is a hardcore fan of 'genre' based entertainment in particular. In my case - science-fiction and comic book based movies and television. Because I'm a chick - it's fangirl, not fanboy. There you have it! I am a big movie fan, however, not necessarily a 'film' fan. And now - I have the forum to present my opinions to the public! These will mainly be movie reviews -that will always be my opinion - repeat OPINION. Just what I think, and in no way do I present my opinion as fact. I hope you enjoy and maybe it will help you decide what to see at the movie theater this weekend!

Monday, August 10, 2020

Movie Review: Palm Springs (R – 90 minutes)

 

This week in lockdown I watched an offering on Hulu.


Palm Springs is a romantic comedy with a twist. It definitely has an independent movie feel, if that makes sense.  It follows the story of Nyles and Sarah who meet at Sarah’s younger sister’s wedding.  Sarah is the maid of honor and Nyles is dating another bridesmaid named Misty.  Over the course of the day of the wedding and reception, and during interactions with an entire host of crazy characters, Nyles and Sarah have a conversation or two that leads to more.


If you have managed to not hear anything else about this movie, that’s fantastic. To say anything else is to get into spoilers that ruin the watching of this movie. I saw Andy Samberg on Seth Myers and he essentially told the whole plot of the movie, which is a shame, because I think I would have enjoyed it a great deal more if I did not know anything about it. 


The movie is directed by Max Barbakow and is charming and sweet alternating with acerbic and zany.  If you are a fan of Samberg, this is in your wheelhouse.  He gives Nyles a fun sensibility despite unusual circumstances. Despite that sense of fun, as the movie goes on, there are layers to Nyles that appear once he realizes how affected he is by Sarah. Milioti manages to do the same to Sarah. She starts out bitter and angry, stays that way for a bit, but then commits herself to the situation and ends up the hero of the piece. 


J.K. Simmons has some fun bits that feel a bit like himself.  Peter Gallagher, Camila Mendes, Tyler Hoechlin, Chris Pang, and Jacqueline Obradors all play wedding party members/attendees to varying levels of crazy. 


June Squibb is in this movie as Sarah’s grandmother and she has one line that left me wishing her character had a larger scene of either explanation or interaction.  Perhaps it is better with the just the one, it gives her quite a bit of mystery.

Overall, the movie is very good and definitely worth the watch. I Hope you get to see it before you hear anything about it.  Also – if you can explain the dinosaurs to me, please do.

6 out of 10. 


No comments:

Post a Comment