Welcome to The Mundane Adventures of a Fangirl

I consider myself a Fangirl. What does that mean, you ask? A "fanboy" in the most common understanding is a hardcore fan of 'genre' based entertainment in particular. In my case - science-fiction and comic book based movies and television. Because I'm a chick - it's fangirl, not fanboy. There you have it! I am a big movie fan, however, not necessarily a 'film' fan. And now - I have the forum to present my opinions to the public! These will mainly be movie reviews -that will always be my opinion - repeat OPINION. Just what I think, and in no way do I present my opinion as fact. I hope you enjoy and maybe it will help you decide what to see at the movie theater this weekend!

Friday, April 10, 2020

Movie Review: Uncorked (TV-MA – 104 minutes)


Here we are still safely self-isolating, staying in, and exploring Netflix!
Personally, I was in a wine club for a year or so and the main takeaway I learned from it is that I don’t care for wine – for any wine.  I can tolerate a Riesling, but overall, I would rather not.  However, I am impressed by those who can appreciate the subtle differences in wines. Although, I am just taking their word for it, because I’m not going to drink it.

Uncorked tells the story of Elijah, a young man who is working for his friend Raylan in a wine store in Memphis. He loves wine and appreciates the differences and crafting of each type. He is perfectly happy recommending the correct wine for customers and is thinking of becoming a master sommelier – which is defined as a wine steward, but that seems to be underselling the position.  He’s just finished up successfully flirting with a customer when he hurries off to his ‘day’ job at his dad’s barbeque restaurant.  His father is assuming he will take over the restaurant one day.  He tells his father he is going to school to become a sommelier, which is met with some mixed reactions – to put it mildly.   

Elijah works very hard, balancing working at the restaurant with his new girlfriend and wine study group (which is a thing for wine school, apparently).  When the opportunity comes for he and his classmates to go to France to study, Elijah’s mom scrapes together enough to help get him there. Unfortunately, while he’s there her cancer returns, and he makes some decisions about dreams and responsibilities – or at least the perceptions of those dreams and realities.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this movie. I think it should have been a late December theatrical release after awards-circuit success.  Director Prentice Penny has done quite a bit of TV directing including Insecure, Happy Endings, and Girlfriends. Here, he crafts a tight little story about family against beautiful Memphis and Paris settings.  The movie has funny moments but is definitely a drama with some very sad moments. The cast is excellent and absolutely enhances the story.

Mamoudou Athie may look familiar to you as he has done some TV as well as appearing in Underwater and Unicorn Store.  Here, he gives Elijah just the right not of determined as he sips and identifies wine while trying to explain his passion to his father – until he stops.  It’s a fantastic and understated performance.

Courtney B. Vance reminds you that he’s more than just Mr. Angela Bassett by giving Louis just the right amount of edge as Elijah’s father. He’s convinced that Elijah needs to take over his business and somehow manages to attempt to squash that dream without ever drifting into being outrightly cruel. It’s a difficult balance and he does a great job of remaining likeable even when saying disagreeable things.

Niecy Nash plays Sylvia, Elijah’s mother. She’s happy to support his dreams and give him what he needs to help chase them. Again, she finds just the right balance here of being supportive without over the top.

Sasha Compere plays Tanya who shifts from Elijah's customer, to girlfriend, to his biggest supporter. She's a bright spot. 

The rest of the cast is also perfection from Elijah’s friends and family to his wine study buddies.  Overall, the movie is genuine and touching.  Perfect for a quiet night in, which you may need right now.

8 out of 10 - fruity, earthy notes with great legs and a strong finish - see, wine talk!


No comments:

Post a Comment